Wednesday 14 November 2007

What is Going Postal?

My work has always looked at notions of mass production and the dissemination of imagery. Through [deletia] I created artist´s multiples, mass produced images that were distributed in the advertising spaces of magazines and other publications. Most of us, if we think of the art that has most touched us, are in fact thinking of reproductions we have experienced in books, magazines and on TV. Through [deletia] I, and the other artists involved, wanted to create artworks that were found in these medias and that gave each and every viewer a first hand experience of the art.

While working on [deletia] I became interested in both the scale and repetition of images in print advertising. Even an advert in a relatively small arts publication is reproduced around 30,000 times and read, they estimate, by something like 90,000 people. This means that even if the advert is only successful in keeping the attention of, say, 10 percent of those who see it then it has still reached 9,000 viewers.

The inspiration for Going Postal came from the junk mail that would get stuffed into my post box each morning. I wanted to see if I could, by hand, produce a series of artworks that could then be sent directly to viewers on a scale similar to junk mail and spam, rather than expecting them to come to me.

I want to see how many of my drawings will survive. How many of them will be used by others and how many will end up in the recycling. For me the responses of you, the viewer, are as important as my own experience in making Going Postal.

The plan is for Going Postal to evolve using your responses and eventually create a network of imagery flying around in the post.

So if you have received a Going Postal drawing please send me an image of what you do with it. And please keep an eye on this Blog spot as I aim to keep updating it with the images and comments that are sent to me as well as my own thoughts on the project.

All the best for now

PS

No comments: